- big cheese
- nounan important influential person-
he thinks he's a big shot-
she's a big deal in local politics-
the Qaeda commander is a very big fish• Syn:• Usage Domain: ↑colloquialism
* * *noun
* * *Older Slang.an influential or important person: Who's the big cheese around here?
* * *big cheese noun (old sl)An important person• • •Main Entry: ↑big————————big cheese (informal)A person of importance, a boss• • •Main Entry: ↑cheese
* * *an important or powerful personThesaurus: important and powerful person or peoplesynonym
* * *big cheese,Slang. an important or high-ranking person: »
The dame that's the big cheese at Intourist tried to give me a hard time (New Yorker).
* * *nounthe big cheeseinformal : the most powerful or important person
You'll have to ask the big cheese. [=the boss]
Who's the big cheese around here?
Useful english dictionary. 2012.